Friday, January 23, 2009

Zoe, Part II

I picked up Zoe's ashes today. I was going to wait and go with TJ after our chiropractor appointments, but I was afraid we would run late, and I couldn't bear the thought of her being on a shelf somewhere, in the vet hospital for the whole weekend. I didn't think picking up her ashes would be that difficult, I mean, I knew that she was dead, but I thought I could handle it on my own. Boy was I wrong. First, they couldn't find her. Then they located her and opened a cabinet, took a box off the shelf and handed it to me. I lost it. I started wailing, like I've never cried before. The poor receptionist didn't know what to do, neither did the customer who had just stopped in to buy some dog food. I managed to take Zoe and walk outside. I sat on the ground and held the box, and tried to catch my breath, as I felt like I was going to hyperventilate. I finally pulled it together and got into the car, placing the box that contained the ashes of my sweet, precious little puppy on the passenger seat next to me, where she sat so many times before.

I waited until we got home, and I asked TJ to open the box. We took out the smaller urn that held Zoe, and a small pewter keychain that held some of her ashes. It was a very hard night, but luckily the door flew open and Cheryl came to the rescue with beautiful roses, and, more importantly, lots of wine! We toasted to Zoe and were soon joined by Doreen, then Corinne. Through my tears I was able to laugh a lot too as we talked about the good times with Zoe and what a great life she had. I love you guys!

No comments: